30 March 2008

Wet Spring Garden Walk around Larrapin

I thought I'd take you along on the stroll we took today around the land. Ok, that makes it sound too tranquil. What really happened is it stopped pouring for a few hours and the sun came out yellow and bright. We grabbed galoshes and cameras and made a mad dash for the door!

7

Above is the view down the slope alongside the chicken paddock. I love it because the sun sets behind it and lights up the uncut grass and wildflowers under the trees. You can barely tell what it is, but the thin sticks in the front left is a clump of wild maples we brought home from my mother & father-in-law's place. It has been so happy once we planted it in its new home.

3

Out front, the row of redbuds are beginning to put on their show, always an amazing shade of pinkish purple.

2

The ornamental pear is blooming and covered with pollinators of all kinds -- bees, butterflies and little wasps (when it isn't raining anyway). It's not a Bradford Pear, but some kind of rangy early attempt at one I think. We've spared it -- despite my feelings about Bradfords -- because obviously the blooms are important to the pollinators. (And Mendy wouldn't think of letting me take it out, even though it partially shades the veggies, because she loves it...)

5

Meanwhile, the "Prairie Fire" crabapple is getting ready for her amazing show. I love this tree! It was the very first tree we planted at Larrapin.

4

And the curly willow is greening up there beside one of the bird baths. Spring is greening! Thank goodness.

Now, if you notice I didn't show the veggie garden, it's because it's not very pretty right now. I've got tarps and buckets and tools all over the place from last weeks' digging frenzy. I'll do photos once I get it cleaned up a bit! Thanks for joining me for a wet spring walk around Larrapin Garden.

2 comments:

A wildlife gardener said...

Very beautiful photographs of wonderful Spring blossom on your trees :)

Anonymous said...

A young woman's fancy turns to spring, or something like that. Thanks for the tour. More rain forecast for tonight. Hope we get one of these rains in July when we really need it. Liz and I are trying to get a good photo of the 2 Canada geese who hang out on top of the beaver lodge next to the Salem Village subdivision. Detour by there sometime if you have never seen a beaver lodge in real life. (turn west after the little bridge on N. Salem Rd near Holcomb elementary school). Susan