17 January 2009

Buckeye Pullets at 5 months


Is that a handsome gal or what? The Buckeye pullets are 5 months old now and beginning to look like real grown-up hens. (You can find out more about Buckeyes by clicking here to go to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy page on the breed.) I've raised this batch of Buckeyes and Australorps from day-old chicks. We only had one chick lost out of two-dozen, and that was on New Year's Eve to a huge owl who went inside the open door of the chicken shed at dusk and got an Australorp...



Here are the girls at scratch-time - their favorite time of the day!


The Buckeyes are almost as big as the Australorps, but the Australorps are heavier. I still love those big yellow feet on the Buckeyes.



So once I tossed out the scratch, I couldn't get them to pay me and the camera any more attention. So I'll wait till I get some better photos to post more. This Spring a handsome Buckeye rooster from a breeder near Little Rock will be coming to meet his 12 new gals and Larrapin will have a real flock of Buckeyes....my own little (adult) 4-H project -- and great fun!

4 comments:

beckie said...

It's great to see the girls again. I can't believe it's been 5 months though. it will be interesting to see how your project developes. What about the Australorps? Are they going to hatch little ones or are they just egg layers. I know they can be work, but oh it does look like fun.

RURAL said...

We love chickens, I have to show these to my husband. Thanks for posting.

Jen

Tymythy said...

They are beautiful.

Debra Howard said...

I just found your blog & have so enjoyed my visit. You seem to be having the time of your life. I am smiling because I am too. I have chickens, goats, cats, parakeets, dove, finches, & ducks here on our place & it is so much more fun than I would have ever guessed. Hope you don't mind if I check back in from time to time.
Debbie