10 August 2007

Beautiful, But Not a Buckeye!


Caught this lovely on one of the butterfly bushes. This has been an amazing butterfly year now that I'm planting butterfly bushes, parsley, dill and milkweed. More on that later...

I'd originally called this one a buckeye, but Tina alerted me that it's an American Painted Lady instead. We have so many in the garden this year and prior to 2007, the one butterfly I felt certain about was a Monarch. I have purchased the wonderful Arkansas butterfly book. I'll post that later too. Thanks Tina!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo! The butterfly in the photo is not a buckeye, however. This is an American Painted Lady or Vanessa Virginiensis.
Looking forward to seeing more of your butterflies. Keep up the good work.

A Larrapin Garden said...

Tina, you are so right about my butterfly boo boo. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

No problem. I started raising these beauties this year, so I've seen them up close and personal. (I bought infested host plants at a garden centre and ended up with 45 caterpillars at no extra charge!)
You have a nice blog, Leigh. I've been enjoying it immensely.

A Larrapin Garden said...

Thanks so much Tina. Lucky you with all those butterflies! Do you have a garden blog?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a garden blog. I was thinking of doing a blog on my butterflies, but all I've done about it is think. Maybe someday. I do have a website about dreams; check it out:
www.dreamtruth.com