23 April 2007

Red Bellied Woodpecker Loves the Suet Feeder

I think I'll post about the birds to distract myself from the garden losses that are just becoming clear after three days of temps in the midteens the first week of April. Blueberries are a total loss in terms of leaves, blooms and fruit -- I just hope the bushes survive! The Crepe Myrtle branches essentially exploded and popped all the bark off and is dead to the ground. Instead of green spring leaves on all the oaks, they have brown streamers hanging from them. It looks like a bizarre Autumn in some of the forests.

But, the birds are wonderful, as I began... I started making homemade suet-like cakes years ago and they are always more popular with the birds than the storebought kind, or so it seems. This woodpecker, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, nuthatches and chickadees are all fans. More pics of garden survivors later. I can't seem to post weekly like I'd hoped. It's kind of boom or bust, but that's how I tend to operate!

No comments: