28 April 2007

To the Spring We Lost...


To the Spring We Lost...
Originally uploaded by larrapin67.

Sorry to keep looking backwards but these were some of the beauties of late March 2007 in Fayetteville, Arkansas before the freak freeze. The pic is what I think of as "oak flowers" -- would those be catkins? -- but they are lovely -- remind me of a bow on a package.

Back to the Kale story (previous post): About five years ago I bought a giant packet of Kale seeds from a farm store in NC. They moved with me and this year I thought I'd just toss them all out on a garden bed and that perhaps a few would grow. WRONG! They all happily sprouted and we'll be eating lots of kale this year. Luckily, it's very frost tolerant and came back after the freeze despite a lot of frost burned leaves. In fact, it's grown twice this big since the pic and we'll be thinning it today and making a stir fry.

No comments: